Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Brewers/Reds Game 1 Recap

The Score:
Milwaukee Brewers 3 Cincinnati Reds 2

Players of the Game:
Jeff Suppan: 7 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K ND
Johnny Cueto: 6.1 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 8 K ND

Game Recap:
Wow. That's all that really can be said about an exciting 3-2 game at Miller Park. It was a back and forth matchup, keyed by unbelievable pitching by a veteran and a real deal future superstar in Jeff Suppan and Johnny Cueto.

I can't lie. Cueto is the real deal. Even in the bleachers in right field behind the bullpen, you could see the movement, the location and the poise of this 22-year old rocket arm. The most impressive thing was he wasn't afraid to throw any of his pitches at any count. And the only person who figured him out was Jason Kendall and JJ Hardy who both went 2 for 2 with two singles on Cueto. Otherwise the kid was lights out, and everyone in the Brewers dugout knew it. The Brewers only mustered 5 hits off of Cueto and spent much of the evening waiving at pitches that were in and out of the strike zone. With the exception of Hall's homerun and Kendall's opposite field rip, nothing really sparked me as hit hard on Cueto. His slider was nasty, his sinker had some bite to it and he threw strikes. Nobody could seem to get around on him. He really is this year's Francisco Liriano, but let's hope without the Tommy John.

But let's not forget the Brewers side of things. Suppan threw 7 solid innings of baseball, while only giving up one run during his 7th and final inning. They always say that Soup pitches for contact and groundballs, and his 12-7 ratio says that he was dealing. However, if you asked Soup why he was doing so well, he really wouldn't say it was all him. It was two diving stops by Prince Fielder to take two hits away from Adam Dunn and solid defense by return 3rd baseman Bill Hall, who saved Suppan's hide inning after inning.

Gagne blew the lead in the ninth, but on a pretty good pitch, regardless of the decision to throw a fastball. Three years ago that's an easy out, but I just can't believe Corey Patterson of all people knocked that ball out. Nobody should be worried about Gagne just yet. It looks like he's finally decided to trust a veteran catcher and learn how to become more of a finesse pitcher.

When all was said and done Brewers fans, myself included, go to watch Francisco Cordero warm up in the bullpen, all while heckling him that he'll never get in the game. And Brewers' fans were right. On a first pitch slider, Rickie knocked a solid groundball through the five hole for the victory in 10 innings, the Brewers' second extra inning victory of the year and their first walk off.

On a side note: I spent most of the night heckling Todd Coffey and David Weathers. I like these two guys actually, but I couldn't resist. My friends kept yelling at Weathers because they thought he was Coffey, only to hear me correct them. Weathers hears this,turns around and gives me the, "Shh" sign, to which I reply, "You hate knowledgeable fans!" getting the first chuckle of the game. Later, when Cordero came into the bullpen, Coffey was doing some exercises with the medicine ball, when my friend decided to go after him. I let him do his thing until Cordero came over when I yelled, "Todd, can you give an estimate as to when you're going to take CoCo's job? My fantasy team is in ruins and I need a reasonable closer. How many saves do you think you can get in 3/4 of a year?" Normally players can handle these comments quite well, but Coffey couldn't resist, started chuckling quietly to himself, looked at me nodded his head and sat down with Coco trying to not turn around. Later in the game I asked Todd why he wasn't warming up, and he responded with the sign for a nap, which is exactly what he'll be doing most of the year. I also did my fair share of taunting the disrespectful Francisco Cordero. My favorite line of the night was definitely just yelling, "Akinori Otsuka" every time he threw a warm up pitch, , "You let a dude from Japan take your job? Did the Dominican disown you after that?" He didn't take to kindly to that one, but was very professional about it all by not saying a word and not giving me the pleasure David and Todd did. All in good fun though. I have no ill will towards the guy. He pitched well, just insulted my team a bit. I'm not the stereotypical Cubs fan, I'll get over it in no time.

The Game Changing Play:
Bill Hall led off the 7th inning with a 7 pitch at bat that ultimately ended with a slider, I think, on the outside corner that he somehow pulled over the left field fence. This AB gave the Brewers the lead and forced Dusty Baker to pull Cueto one batter later since Hardy and Kendall had both figured out how to handle Cueto.

Predictions Not so Good:
My predictions were absolutely brutal. Not only did Cueto deliver but he made Prince look silly at times. Add on the fact that Suppan pitched a gem and you can say I'm utterly ridiculous. But hey you can't win 'em all. I was right about Dunn though. He just got robbed like nobody's business by Fielder on both accounts. I wouldn't mind being wrong about tonight's game too.

Who's on tap?
Dave Bush and Josh Fogg take the mound tonight at Miller Park. These two scare me as far as a quality game goes. They have a lot to live up to if they plan on matching yesterday's game, but I have a feeling these guys aren't that capable.

The Crew is 6-1 one now, and looking pretty impressive. How long can they keep it up?

1 comment:

steve said...

Aaron....hilarious bullpen chatter between you...your friend towards Coffey and Coco....That's what I call interactive fandome and who knows, you guys may have influenced the outcome of the game..I have my rabbits feet and pacing routines while watching a Brewers game, but nothing topps fans working over players in the most respectful and subtle of ways..

Fielder actually hit the ball hard once towards Dunn...Those two were playing one up the other last night...

Hall's Homer came on an outside slider....He just flicked his wrist...man, that guy is strong and apparently he has new contact lenses and a big smile while playing third base and Oh yeh...8 RBI's in 7 games...Hello Hack Wilson..

Great to be alive as a baseball fan with the launching of Cueto...witness him like a Picasso painting of unpredictability...Hart"s gonna be on line today answering questions..on teh Brewers web site...he seems like an honest guy, so maybe we'll get the first singing of teh Cueto Blues by a batter....

OK...since I predicted a 4-3 Brewers win last night and almost got Gagne right but failed bad about Prince....I'm gonna be arrogant and allow myself another prediction.....Brewers 9.......Reds 7.........a Riske save.....and a long long three run homerun by Hart....