Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Bullpen or Starting Rotation

Everybody seems pretty concerned about the overwhelming amount of pitching we have available and additionally the depth we have at certain positions around the field where a trade wouldn't hurt the team that much now, but give it stability in the future.  Today I'm going to flip through the potential starting pitchers and really try to figure out who deserves to be where.  Before I do that though, I have a few things to say about what makes a good pitcher.

When you talk to the most average of fans, they measure a pitcher by ERA and wins.  I consider myself an average fan, nothing special, but I believe that I have an above average knowledge of the game.  I never had phenomenal talent, but I always did the fundamentals well, and never made the mental error.  When push came to shove, my coaches used to always dub me the most intelligent player on the team because I knew what it took, even though I may not have had the physical capacity to get there.  I don't think I've lost site of that since, and as I work my way through articles and watch more and more seasons, I've realized that wins mean nothing.  They're more of a team aspect.  Just look at Dice-K from the Red Sox and you'll know what I mean.  And ERA can sometimes be misleading (big innings, bad outings and circumstances).  When I look for a good pitcher, I look at three stats, WHIP, SO/Walk Ratio and Strike/Ball Ratio.  WHIP, for those who aren't in the know is Walks and Hits per Inning Pitched.  I'll refer to the SO/Walk ratio as SOW from here on out and the latter to SBR.

Think about it, a pitcher with a low WHIP, lets fewer baserunners on and finds himself pitching with more room for error, where a person with a higher WHIP, constantly has runners on and is a mistake away from finding himself in the bullpen.  Cue Claudio Vargas' theme music.  The SOW stat is pretty self-explanatory while SBR needs just a brief statement.  If you pitch strikes and have good location, you are more likely to be ahead in the count.  It's a well known, and apparent fact that normal batters have a lower Avg if they are behind in the count and are forced to protect.

Let's get on to the career numbers:  WHIP/SOW/SBR (could only be found as % Strikes at Baseball-Reference.com)

Ben Sheets                 1.21/3.94/63%
Yovani Gallardo       1.27/2.73/64%
Carlos Villanueva     1.24/2.16/63%
Jeff Suppan               1.43/1.71/62%
Chris Capuano          1.36/2.43/63%
Dave Bush                 1.26/3.28/63%
Claudio Vargas         1.46/1.86/62%

I am truly surprised right now.  I really thought that there would be more of a significant difference here.  I expected Suppan's numbers to be this high because he's a groundball pitcher and gets away with more guys on base.  While his SOW is pretty low, you can expect that to be because he doesn't strikeout a lot of guys.  Vargas' numbers are pretty clear.  He's not good and he's a big risk.  His WHIP last year was 1.541.  No wonder he never made it past the 6th.  Obviously Yo's, Los' and Sheets' numbers are pretty darn good.  

The surprise for me is Dave Bush.  I still can't believe his numbers are better than Capuano's.  Their 2007 numbers are almost identical, but Bush pitched significantly more innings and had a higher strike %.  Maybe I just got down on him for his 7th innings so much I was blinded.  Some of Cappy's numbers can be adjusted though for his ability to keep runners at bay.  Additionally, he's a lefty and therefore has to play the matchup game more often.  In the end, I think they're identical, but someone is going to get the axe.  I think we need to keep the lefty in the rotation.  Right now, he'd be the only one.  It's tough, but these numbers may give Bush a better trade value than Capuano.  I don't see how they're that much different except Capuano has All-Star on his jersey for one year.  A move will be made in the spring once the injury bug hits other team's starting rotations.  None of these guys can be out-righted and lost without some sort of compensation.  We need more depth in the lower levels of our minor-league system and here are the chips we have in play.

Don't forget to check out the Winter Warm-Up posted on milwaukeebrewers.com.  Salomon Torres was really the only guy who I was impressed with because all the other guys were just saying their usual cliche statements, but that's the whole point of that thing anyways.  And I'm sad to say that the new woman broadcaster could be the best one FSN Wisconsin has ever put on a Brewers telecast.  Brian Anderson is still too golfy and Schroeder just gets on my nerves.

Four more weeks and here we come...

5 comments:

steve said...

The Brewer winter show had some secret nuggets me thinks....
Gallardo laid down his goal of a 20 win season and Uecker offered up his catching services in an emergency.

Are you sure Torres was not brown nosing management with his over the top drama about how nice milwaukee managemnt was...so nice that he reconsidered retiring? I didn't they powder puff em' so well in Pittsburgh or maybe he learned all that in SF.

How bout Maddux perking up about Sheets, gallardo, Suppan, Villanueva, and Bush with Bush getting the most kudos. Maddux called him our best prepared pitcher. Capuano was never mentioned...Coments about him came only after a question.

I'm not so sure the Brewers weigh having a lefty in the rotation very high.

Laporta was all thumbs up about the switching positions reality....he said it keeps everybody guessing...

And Yost dished out some stats about Brewer wins in 2007 when Brewers walk...linking I guess to Kendall signing...speaking of which...I was reading Baseball Digest today and came across a list of the 12 catchers who have caught 3 no hitters in their career...and who was there? Jason Kendall.....He must be due for one in 2008. I'm going with Yo in early July.

Bush ranked 5th last year in walks per nine innings right behind Maddux, Smoltz, Hamels, and Harang...And it's not like Bush only throws strikes...He fools batters and has decent strikeout totals the past 2 years. If he gets a little more gutsy and wastes a few more pitches when he is ahead in the count, I'm thinking he could win closer to 15 games....and I sure hope it's in a Brewer uniform.

Thanks for the thumbs up on my assessment of Kendall. Up till now, I'm concluding that the Brewers prefer a catcher who can still get on base versus a guy who hits an occasional double like Estrada.

steve said...

I miss Darrin Sutton's genuine enthusiasm....Watching some of those classic Brewers games FSN plated last year from the first days of Weeks and Fielder prove how insightful that guy was. He knows how to seize moments and make predictions.

One nice contrast between Shroeder and Anderson is their opposite natures. Shroeder promotes himself as a simple guy who doesn't just make appearances...he hangs inside the tailgate party. Anderson, on the other hand, sports an OC suite and says nothing too outlandish. The only thing that keeps me from turning the sound down and going the Uecker route is their subtle bashing of each other. Somewhat very entertaining.

akittell said...

I think that the Torres comments may have come off as brown nosing, but i think the language barrier makes a significant difference in the
appearance of competence and perhaps non-calculated comments.

It's amazing how right handed heavy we are on the field and left handed heavy on the bench with counsell, gross and gwynn. We'll never have the chance to play the backup game, especially if Yost rocks the 13 pitcher plan.

I'm still not sold on Bush as a starter, and I think having an all right-handed rotation is a flaw, especially for lefty heavy teams.

I'm sad to say this, but I do miss Sutton a little bit. I agree with the his genuine approach the game, but I couldn't stand his off topic comments. They never humored me and I constantly put on Uecker and Powell. I think Craig Cushon or however you spell it, is a joke with great news casting skills, and Davey Nelson looks very uncomfortable. Anderson, has got the look and maybe should be more of a blue collar guy, a little more abashed. I know it's a family generated program, but come on.

Maybe I'll do some more research on Kendall today and write up a detailed report on his career. People might be interested, even if it appears not many are reading this thing yet.

steve said...

I'd be way into reading some Kendal historical stuff...especially after receiving an email from a friend that just said the following....."There are three kinds of lies....Lies...Terrible Lies.....and Statistics...."

and underneath it says Mark Twain...I'm still trying to figure that one out, but I figure it applies to Jason Kendall and the Brewers signing him because the signing from a statistical standpoint related to his salary is as my nemesis in Oakland pointed out...crazy.

I think this guy has it in for Kendall after years of watching him in Oakland...but anyway, the brewers as we discussed earlier operate in part on Ned Yost's whims...his instincts....which would make Twain happy I guess.
I'm rarely in agreement with him, but I liked his comments at the Brewer party about walks and stats revealing that the Brewers win more when they walk.

akittell said...

Winning more often when you walk isn't that big of a surprise. It's common sense that Yost really hasn't pounded into his players since day one. Maybe this time around he'll get the point.

More baserunners = more opportunities = more runs = more wins = playoffs.

Baseball isn't that hard and hopefully all this off season talk about On-Base Percentage and quality ABs will bleed over.