Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I've already fell in love with this team...

I can't help it. These guys are fun, arrogant and humble all at the same time. But most importantly, they're passionate. The media reported that the entire starting lineup showed up to camp yesterday, which is relatively unheard of these days, especially for veterans like Mike Cameron. Even Yost and Sveum didn't expect their guys to show up early, but they did and they all started practicing, even if they may not have had their gloves just yet. I'm excited and though my trip to AZ has been canceled because of unforeseen circumstances, 9 of the first 10 games and Nashville are inevitable.

The big news for me though is reading a bit of the interview with Ben Sheets from the only reliable Brewers' source, Tom Haudricourt. It appears all the media and barbs thrown his way has finally gotten to the 29-year old righty and frustration is coming through. Good thing or bad thing? I honestly have to say good thing. You often only hear jokes from Sheets and a lack of motivation or fire. In the few quotes offered by Tom, he seems competitive and ready to shut some people up.

I can honestly say, I'm not one of those guys who rags on Sheets. I have harped on Sheets for his inability to stay healthy as well as whether or not he's earned the money from his big contract, but when he's in this rotation, he offers incredible stability and morale. Ben is not one of those dime a dozen guys you can just give up on, but at the same time, the Brewers might have to at the end of the season. You would hope Ben will give Milwaukee a hometown discount for paying him 8-11 million dollars a year over the last 3 years, but you can't expect anything. Ben will make 13-16 million a year when this year is over and unless this team makes enough revenue to accommodate him, Sheets will end up on a big market team.

Nevertheless, Sheets is the ace this year. He will start another Opening Day barring injury and he will smoke the Cubs like he does every year. A mid-level 90s fastball and a nasty overhand curve, coupled with the newly acquired change-up, Ben has the stuff that leads to sub-3.00 ERAs, provided he stays out of trouble in the early innings when he isn't as sharp. If you can get 30 starts out of him and maybe Yovani, you're going to find yourself atop the division or at the bare minimum in a wild card race.

I think I've given up on the remainder of the position analysis. The grueling research journey can be saved for times when I'm motivated. If there's something you, the readers, would like me to work on, feel free to e-mail me or comment at any time. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

4 comments:

steve said...

akittel...it was fun sparring with you over at Brewer Nation about Kendall vs. Hardy for the #2 spot in the batting order. I like your reasoning and love your enthusiasm for the Brewers 2008!!

Sheets expressed a noticeable frustration last year about this time at Brewer fans nast comments regarding Sheets inability to lay down a bunt. He seems like a funny guy and when the camera pans into the dugout, he is always talking up somebody...and he is always the first guy out to the mound after a game looking to congratulate somebody.

I have an idea about an article or maybe you already covered this topic....The BRewers switching catchers three years in a row...Maybe, we discussed it in the comment section....

Anyway, you could expand the topic into Brewers catchers 2008 and beyond. I think baseball is in the middle of a change with catchers...Jarrod Saltamachia, Geovany Soto, JR Towles...a couple of others looking to upgrade the position's offense...

I'll tell ya one thing...I wish the Brewers would focus on a catcher with a stud arm rather than worrying about an offensive catcher..I guess Kendall is worth the sacrifice because he is truly a unique offensive catcher..

However, I love the career percentage of Rod Barajas throwing out numbers and the cheap price it cost the Blue Jays. Now, I'm wondering if Barajas bats left handed..

akittell said...

I like the idea of the defensive catcher. Yadier Molina threw out guys left and right last year, and most of the time it was enjoyable. Nevertheless, you can get away with poor defensive catchers with positive offensive numbers for a couple of reasons.

1. Fans love offense.

2. If he can produce runs, you can afford to give up a few extra bases here and there.

As long as the running isn't excessive, poor defensive catchers can pretty much get away with anything, which sucks because the game between pitchers, base runners and catchers is one of my favorite strategy games in baseball.

I'll take a look into the switching of catchers. I wonder if there really is anything behind it, but at the same time it's gonna be pretty tough to check on. There's an immense sample size to research with pitchers changing teams, but then you have to accommodate ball parks as well as opposing teams. If you're Toronto you have to face teams like Boston and New York more often so that's probably going to hurt you in the long run. Then you have to ask yourself does the catcher really come into play.

Interesting topic. I should just check out joining the Brewer Nation as a part time guest writer. You may be my only reader.

For future reference, my name is Aaron so you don't have to keep referring to my handle.

steve said...

Aaron...while we're on the topic of catchers...I think you pointed out a few weeks ago the ERA increase of A's pitchers when Kendall left the team..Alot of intelligent baseball people call this fact over hyped....but I disagree. It seems as clear as anything that Kendall has a positive effect on a pitching staff.

You're right that switching catchers and the effects is tough to measure. I guess one way would be to see who was catching for World Series teams and what percewntage of them had been with their parent teams the longest.

Catchers are maybe like drummers. Tjey have to drag around the most equipment and tend to change bands or teams with more frequency than other players.

Another topic idea after the season starts might be All time Brewer best seasons and how they compare to other players on other teams. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Sheets in 2004 when you consider the team he was playing on and what he accomplished. His strikeout to walk ratio makes me knees shake...Offensively, Prince Fielder's 2007 season probably ranks up there...

And one more thing Aaron. Don't be discouraged that people haven't found your website or at least they are not making comments. Most good things in this world are overlooked. I have visited and commented on other sites and there is a lot of ass kissing towards the writer who is most popular and most recognized. I tell you with complete sincerity that your insights are as equally engaging and intelligent as the most popular baseball writers of America or any traffic high website.

akittell said...

That is a flattering comment, and I appreciate it greatly.

As for the CERA stat. While the career stats show that there really isn't a significant difference between most starters in the league, there's something to be said about having to work with a new catcher mid-season. It's a comfort level for many and if a catcher has a different philosophy behind the plate, it may take the staff a while to learn to follow his lead.

This was brought up by Yost and Simmons the other day regarding Estrada and Kendall. They said that Kendall called to the strengths of his pitcher, while Estrada called to the weaknesses of the hitter.

Let me think this one out a bit and I'll discuss the catcher position in a post coming today or tomorrow.